This course is available to practitioners with a level 6 qualification, for example medical herbalists, naturopaths, homeopaths, osteopaths, nutritionalists, GPs, etc.
Advantages for you as a practitioner
- Very effective method of helping clients conceive (with or without) fertility problems, especially when combined with preconception health care
- By learning to interpret the basal body temperature readings and hormonal charting, this can be helpful to diagnose all reproductive issues, general health and nutritional deficiencies – even if there is no requirement for contraception or conception
- As our clients become healthier, they require our services less – true preventative treatment
- Combines very well with all other Natural treatment options ie acupuncture, osteopathy, naturopathy, herbal medicine, homoeopathy etc.
- Usually the clients seeking these services are extremely compliant and an absolute pleasure to work with
- It is possible to build a practice successfully, sustainably and with work hours which suit you
- You impact the lives of future generations, improving the health of people and the planet. It is very rewarding work
- Following course completion, you can contact me for advice/guidance for a further 6 months. This practical support and mentoring is invaluable.
- A further modality and qualification
- Completion in CPE points
- Self-sufficiency – no complicated gadgets required. You can use these methods anywhere at anytime
- No side effects of these non-invasive methods which are easy to use. There is a learning phase but with commitment and motivation within a few months the methods are learnt
- Self-knowledge of your body and its cycles. Once learnt, the clients often wonders why they never noticed in the past. Body awareness and understanding what is happening in their body.
- Lower costs than assisted fertility techniques
- Shared responsibility – both parents are encouraged to take part in all aspects of the treatment and programme
- Woman controlled contraception – By using a condom when fertile or potentially fertile the woman can use these methods with or without a regular sexual partner. Also with a ‘regular’ cycle or when the hormonal cycle is ‘irregular. (We would want to improve this)
- No danger to future pregnancies or fertility and children conceived (usually) when wanted
- Morally and ethically impeccable – while assisted fertility techniques are fast becoming the norm, there are some religious groups (or example) who would not use assisted fertility whereas, no one objects to natural fertility techniques
- Reliable and effective for contraception and quite effective for conception. Optimises the chances of a healthy conception, pregnancy, birth and bab
The aim of providing this course is to:
- Assist health professionals further their training in fertility and reproductive health for the benefit of their clients
- Continue the teachings of Francesca Naish, the developer of Natural Fertility Management
- Provide a further modality and qualification, which can be helpful to diagnose all reproductive issues, general health and nutritional deficiencies – even if there is no requirement for contraception or conception
- Give practitioners a very effective method of helping clients conceive (with or without) fertility problems, especially when combined with preconception health care. Combines very well with all other Natural treatment options ie acupuncture, osteopathy, naturopathy, herbal medicine, homoeopathy etc.
- Promote truly preventative treatment, as our clients become healthier, they require our services less . Usually the clients seeking these services are extremely compliant and an absolute pleasure to work with
- Enable practitioners to build a practice successfully, sustainably and with work hours which suit you
- Impact the lives of future generations, improving the health of people and the planet. It is very rewarding work
- Provide an informative, interactive course with full support during study and mentoring following completion
Eligibility for enrolment
This is a post-graduate course and the minimum requirement is a level 6 qualification. Final year students will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The following health professionals are best suited to this course.
- Medical herbalists
- Doctors of medicine
- Body work therapists
Accreditation and Continuing Education
This is an independently owned, run and operated course. It is not approved with NZQA (or the Australian equivalent) and is not eligible for student loans and allowances (in NZ). I am seeking approval for Continuing Education points with each related Professional Association. This page will be updated as this is confirmed. All students will be invited to be part of an email group of NFM practitioners.
The course is 10 modules in length, to be studied by distance learning. The modules vary in length but it is anticipated to take approximately 30 hours per module. Each module has an assignment to be completed. Access to internet is necessary. Each participant has 10 months to complete the modules but it is anticipated that most will be able to complete the course in between 3-6 months. Following completion of all modules and assignments the Practitioner Diploma in Fertility and Reproductive Health will be awarded.
This course can be commenced on the 1st of any month during the year. This starts when you receive the notes so please allow a couple of weeks to organise payment. (See below)
Module One: Introduction
History of NFM
- What is Fertility Awareness?
- What is Natural Fertility Management?
- What is involved for the client?
Who is Francesca Naish? · NFM kits
- Why are fertility problems increasing?
- How big is the issue (infertility)
How effective is this? Studies and outcomes
- The benefits for your practice
Module Two: Temperature Charting
· Accurate temperature charting and recording · BBT (Basal body temperature) · Interpretation of charts (what a temperature chart indicates)
- How to correct any issues identified
Module Three: Cervical Mucus Observation
· Accurate cervical mucus observation · Interpretation of result · Which hormones/ nutrients are out of balance?
- Treatment for correct problems identified
· How to encourage clients to do cervical mucus observation · Timing to maximize conception · History of symptom-thermal method
Module Four: Lunar Cycle
· What is the lunar cycle? · How it affects fertility · The history of the lunar cycle · How to explain to clients (even skeptical clients)
- How to obtain the lunar cycle information for yourself/client
- How to encourage clients to chart
- Using the Lunar Cycle for both conception and contraception
Module Five: Contraception
· Using Natural Fertility Management for contraception throughout a woman’s’ fertile life
- Difference between NFM and Fertility NZ
- NFM contraception KITS
- How effective is NFM for contraception?
Module Six: Pre-conception Health Care
· What is Preconception health care (PCHC) · Why is it important
- Relationship between epigenetics and PCHC
· What does PCHC involve?
- Improving nutritional status
- Importance of healthy weight
- Thyroid function
- Stress reduction
- Parental age (40 years young)
- Heavy metals assessment and treatment
- Role of chemicals/toxins
- Allergies and infections
- Medical tests
- Use of prescribed medications
Module Seven: Male Fertility Issues
- Reviewing anatomy and physiology of the male reproductive system
· Improving sperm count and motility
- Improving sperm morphology
- Sperm antibodies, ROS (reactive oxygen species) and DNA fragmentation
- Key nutrients for sperm health
- Effect of medication on Male fertility
- Everything else you need to know about sperm
· How to encourage the men to take more responsibility · Interpretation of medical tests
- Resources for you to improve your practice
Module Eight: Female Fertility Issues
- Reviewing anatomy and physiology of the female reproductive system
- Premenstrual experience
- Menstrual experience
· Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding · Ovary and ovulation disorders
- Post Luteal Defect
- Premature ovarian failure (reversing early menopause)
- Ovarian cysts
- Fallopian tube disorders
- Uterine and Cervix conditions
· Interpretation of medical tests
- Unexplained infertility
Module Nine: Miscarriage prevention
· Possible causes for repeated miscarriage
- What medical tests should be completed
- MTHFR, epigenetics and fertility
· How to approach this problem
- Prenatal tests
- The use of miscarriage prevention formulas
Module Ten: Artificial Reproductive Technologies and Sex Selection
· ART – Artificial Reproductive Technologies
- Natural support throughout ART
- Natural support during pregnancy (with or without ART)
· Sex selection – influencing the odds
- Working with other professionals
· Putting it all together · How to explain to clients · Follow up and ongoing support
- Final thoughts: Epigenetics the way of the future!
Note: Each module varies in size, but all involve reading, reading and more reading.
The Full Programme
As well as the 10 modules above, (with marking and support during study) the full programme also includes a copy of The Natural Way to Better Babies by F. Naish, a copy of Natural Fertility by F. Naish, a three-day seminar in Hamilton – either as a group or one-to-one with Yvonne Gattung, an email question/answer group, mentoring for 6 months following completion to assist with clinic and client issues when required. Each participant should be well through the course before attending. Dates to suit participants.
ResolveHQ – Computer software for natural Therapists
As a bonus, all course participants can access the new computer software for natural therapists. This software allows you to access all your client notes, write invoices, send email reminders, make appointments with your clients from anywhere in the world. This product has been developed by Natural Therapists, for Natural Therapists.
Mentor and Writer
YVONNE GATTUNG B.Soc.Sci, ND, Dip Herb Med, Dip HP, Dip Massage, MANT, MNZAMH After having studied psychology at Waikato University, by 1995 Yvonne had Diplomas in Holistic Pulsing, Therapeutic Massage, Naturopathy and Herbal Medicine. Following commencement of private practice as a Medical Herbalist and Naturopath, decided to specialize in improving fertility outcomes for couples and promoting preconception health care. She received further training from Francesca Naish and her practice grew quickly. In 2000, she purchased the Waikato Centre for Herbal Studies, renaming it Waikato Centre for Herbal Medicine. Over the next 10 years, the Centre thrived and many confident and competent Medical Herbalists graduated. Yvonne ran the clinical training programme for the Centre and mentored many students. During this time she also continued her practice, seeing clients on a regular basis and started training other practitioners in the art of Natural Fertility Management. Also, in 2001, she started the Herbal Shop and Clinic, a retail herbal dispensary and clinic. The Herbal Shop and clinic changed to new ownership in 2009 and The Waikato Centre for Herbal Medicine changed to new ownership in 2010 allowing Yvonne to concentrate on this course and continue the promotion of health for fertility. Yvonne gives regular seminars to the public, speaks at professional conferences and featured in a TV 3 documentary on Male Fertility called Sperm Wars.
Payment details: Diamond Ideas ltd Bank account number 12 3171 0198588 00 For payment by credit card, please contact Yvonne Postal address: PO Box 15064, Dinsdale, Hamilton.
Conditions of Enrolment
This course is owned and run by Yvonne Gattung under the company of Diamond Ideas Ltd. All course content is subject to copyright. By enrolling you confirm and agree to the following terms and conditions set out below.
- That you will not reproduce in any manner or for any purpose the information written or otherwise that constitutes the content of this course. If emailed to you, you may download for your own use only. You are not to copy or sent material electronically to any other person, except where the notes clearly state you can.
- That you will complete the modules on or before the allocated time. The maximum length to complete the course is 10 months.
- If an extension is required due to illness or emergency, then you may apply in writing for an extension. The granting of this extension is at the sole discretion of Yvonne Gattung.
- You understand the course is 10 modules in length. Each module has an assignment which must be passed and the entire course must be completed prior to the award of any CPE points.
- That the course is written as a distance learning course, two days tutoring is included but not compulsory. If you choose not to attend these days, there is no refund of fees in lieu of this.
- Any costs for transport, accommodation and food for the attendance tutoring are your responsibility. Venue, resources and all tutoring will be provided.
- That you will act at all times with honesty and integrity, and any group discussions will be kept strictly confidential.
- If you have any issues or complaints that you will first discuss with Yvonne Gattung before any other action is taken.
- Refund policy: Up to eight (8) days after the date on which the student receives the first set of notes, the student may withdraw from the course and receive a refund of all moneys paid less a 10% administration fee providing all course notes and resources are returned unused. After that date no refunds will be issued.
- If the course is cancelled for any reason by Yvonne Gattung, any pre-paid fees will be refunded to you.
- At no time and under no circumstances will Yvonne Gattung or anyone else connected with Diamond Ideas Ltd, accept responsibility or be held responsible for any claim or damage from action carried out, or from advice given by any student or ex-student whether directions given in the course are carried out or not.